Written by Matt Fowler
- OTBX Looking for a non-strip center, non-chain, wholly local option for your retail forays this year? We have locally-made T-Shirts from Green Pea Press, growlers and growler carriers as well as beer and wine to go. Original OTBX logo/Southern-Craft-Culture SS in soft heather cotton and new Long Sleeve. We also have a new style called Twickenham Beer Club that will be in for Christmas. TBC was a real thing, in about 1840 and we’re bringing it back! Checkout our Facebook page for updates.
- UG White Is a new addition to downtown and one of the coolest stores around. Get Lodge Cast Iron cookware, Kuehl, Patagonia, Filson, Barbour and lots of other great brands along with vintage toys, taffy and scores of other unique items. They are on the book of faces as well, check them out! This is the coolest thing to happen downtown since, well, us!
- Clinton Row Award winning micro-retail with shops too unique to exist anywhere else! Located next to UG White and across from The Kaffeeklatsch. There are makeup artists, clothiers, wood workers, etc. See a list of the current occupants at their Facebook page.
- Kaffeeklatsch Coffee Grant and Kathy have been roasting fine coffee downtown since 1976. The adjacent bar closed but the coffee shop is going strong. If you want craft coffee, this is a Huntsville must. If you have not had it before, try Breakfast Blend; if it’s not the best cup of coffee you’ve ever had, well, you’ve had some damn amazing coffee. Order online at their website.
- WildBean Coffee Coffee and mornings go together like cream and sugar. Come down to Belk Hudson Lofts (Washington and Holmes) and grab a mocha, a latté or a pour-over at WildBean’s pop-up store. Check them out on Facebook (nice t-shirt in that picture Shelby!)
- Lewter’s Hardware We could not finish our list without mentioning Lewter’s Hardware. While UG White is sort of a clothing/outfitter, Lewter’s is a legit hardware store where you can buy nails by the pound. Donnie Lewter is a cousin removed a couple of times and his hardware store is an institution. Just walk through, you will see something you didn’t know you needed. Here’s a link to their Yelp Page… The buggy hanging from the ceiling came from the Fowler Farm, childhood home to two of the OTBX owners. We’re really all family, or just about.
So there, six reasons you should be coming downtown for Christmas shopping etc. Come see us!